Wednesday, June 27, 2007

My 5-year Plan

I always make 5 year plans.
1993: I will finish out my 8th grade field hockey season and become a really awesome goalie. Yeah, that's right, awesome. Then I will spend the next 4 years of high school being the Varsity goalie and being adored by numerous fans when our team goes to State and wins. I will make as much money as I can babysitting so that as soon as I get my driver's license I can buy a sweet ride all my own. Then, after completely glamourous high school years, I will head off to an ivy-league college to begin my preparations for a career as a successful and famous prosecutor.
The summer before 9th grade I had the perfect job arranged and was on the path of my 5 year plan. But on the way home from Day #2 as the world's coolest babysitter, I crashed my bike into a guard rail and broke my femur bone. I was on crutches for over 4 months, had no babysitting to do and had to miss the whole field hockey season. The team got a new starting goalie. After saving up for a new car all my own, my mom's car broke down and I had to let her use mine for my whole senior year. I took the bus to school. I made all the preparations for graduating from high school near the top of my class so that I could get into a "good" school. I made my final decision and was all set to go, but then we realized that I couldn't afford to go to the college I wanted to.
When I headed to the college of my parents' dreams, I made a new 5-year plan.
1997: Ignore all the people, make the best of a stinky college situation and just focus on preparing to get into a "good" law school.
Despite my efforts, the second semester of my freshman year I started dating my husband, was enjoying every minute of college (even the people!) and I definitely became a better person in the process. Hmmm...not any closer to going to law school.
When I got married, I gained a partner to help with the 5-year plan.
2001: Both work for a year out of college and save up my whole salary. Apply to law schools, After graduation, get that dream job of becoming a prosecutor. Then the white picket fence, the new cars and kids.
9 months after we got married (and only 7 mos. after I started working), Siddo joined our family.
November 2002: Work full time as social worker. Juggle family life. White Picket Fence. New Cars. Sibling for Sidney.
After 9 months, I got randomly accepted to family friendly law school in our town. (Long story.)
August 2003: Full time to law school. Add sibling for Sidney to our family in June, so I could enjoy the summer at home before starting second year of law school. Arrange classes around being a mom of 2. Graduate law school. Dream job as prosecutor. White picket fence.
June came, and so did July, August, September etc. Law school reopened, no sibling. Juggling staying home with Sidney and law school full time.
May, 2006: Spend the summer studying for the bar exam. Pray that I pass. Accept that a sibling for Sidney doesn't seem to be in the cards. Sidney to school full time. Dream job as prosecutor.
Enter morning sickness. In March, Avery joined our family.
June, 2007: No more 5 year plans.

No comments: